Business Closures

36 Posts
9 Users
2 Likes
Stephen Underwood
(@caletafuerteventura)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

On a walk around Caleta I noticed that some businesses have closed over the past few weeks. I'll keep checking on what is happening, but as far as I can tell then the following have closed, as the units are empty:

Children's World in the El Castillo center

Royal Spices at Caleta Gardens

Desigual in the harbour area

Canary Surf Academy at the Eurostars Las Salinas Hotel

El Colmado at the Eurostars Las Salinas Hotel

La Guira at the Las Salinas Hotel

ICU Shop under the antigua Suites Hotel.

(@amlod)
Reputable Member

Unfortunately Stephen I think there will be a lot more closures due to this horrid virus, and restrictions from countries like the UK banning travel, as good as against fco advice, therefore no travel insurance. I would come out there tomorrow (fed up looking at our back garden) if fco advice changes therefore our annual travel insurance valid. Wouldn't risk without, even though we have never had to claim for any mishaps or medical expenses. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by Amlod

ReplyQuote
(@geoffutv)
Eminent Member

@amlod ,I’m exactly the same,once the FCO advice changes I will be out to Fuerte . However after 14 yrs of having, but not using travel insurance,Sod’s law I would need it . So not risking until advice changes.

ReplyQuote
Stephen Underwood
(@caletafuerteventura)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

In the Montecastillo Center, The 3 Amigos has closed. It will be opening up as Restaurante Molino.

That's probably a good move. To open up the only Spanish place should ensure that it'll appeal to all nationalities.

ReplyQuote
 Alex
(@alex)
Illustrious Member

Source : Radio Sintonia.  Another possible breath of fresh air for the local business. Puerto del Rosario will receive the first cruises in November. 

In this sense, it is expected that in the winter season 2020/2021 the following cruises will arrive at the port of the capital:

AIDAnova: November 4th
AIDAstella: November 6th
AIDAvita: November 14th
AIDAnova: from November 6 to April 16 every Wednesday (change from AIDAnova to AIDAperla confirmed)

Mein Schiff4 - Kanaren mit Madeira III: from November 15th to March 27th on Saturdays every two weeks from Saturday November 21st

- Mein Schiff3 - Kanaren mit Madeira II: January 12, February 9 and March 16.

The shipping companies will take at all times the prevention measures established by the health authorities to deal with Covid-19.

ReplyQuote
(@amlod)
Reputable Member

@alex I really hope all goes well for businesses with the reintroduce of cruises calling at rosario. I can't see it making much difference to the caleta economy as passenger's will either stick to rosario, or go of with organised excursions. Also have to think how many people will take a chance on a cruise this year or next, given the amount of cruise liners that became infected. We have been on numerous cruises, around the med, Caribbean etc but would not consider going on a cruise within the next year or two, till they get to the bottom of this virus.

Would come out to the canaries tomorrow if we could, but sadly fco advice prevents us. ?

ReplyQuote
(@geoffutv)
Eminent Member

@amlod 100% agree with you . Really feel for businesses out there in Fuerte ,and hope now that Spanish holidays have ended we might see a fall in Covid cases on the island. Not been to our house in Caleta for nearly a year now , how I miss a coffee at Smile, lunch at Goris or an evening meal at Nestors , just hope they they can survive these unprecedented times. Flights booked for November ,fingers crossed.

ReplyQuote
(@amlod)
Reputable Member

@geoffutv we've not got a house in caleta, this must be so frustrating for you. Completely agree, had a couple of morning coffees at smile, but not many. Usually at the atlantico centre in one of the cafes outside there. Gory's lunchtime, even a cheap and cheerful evening meal, but you can't beat nestors even if it's uphill 20 min walk from where we stay, having said that there's a lot of good cafes & restaurants around caleta. Must admit fados not where we we go as a couple, too much like your on a conveyor belt,drinks, here's your meal, pudding - no thanks, Bill and out 

ReplyQuote
Villan
(@villan)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @geoffutv

@amlod 100% agree with you . Really feel for businesses out there in Fuerte ,and hope now that Spanish holidays have ended we might see a fall in Covid cases on the island. Not been to our house in Caleta for nearly a year now , how I miss a coffee at Smile, lunch at Goris or an evening meal at Nestors , just hope they they can survive these unprecedented times. Flights booked for November ,fingers crossed.

Where is your place Geoff?

We have  a small place on the Golf. We were lucky to go out a few weeks ago in the short window before UK quarantine kicked in. We were eating and drinking out every day to invest in the bars and restaurants. We were so pleased we did. We have another flight in a few weeks time which is looking less promising as the days go by. We also have flights in November, like you, fingers crossed.

ReplyQuote
Stephen Underwood
(@caletafuerteventura)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

There have been more closures since my last walk around:

The Policeshop in the Atlantico Center

Cabana Perfume and Gifts under the Eurostars Las Salinas Hotel

Valentina Nails & Spa in the Caleta Beach complex

Dulce de Leche next to the Tourism/Ayuntamiento office in the Castillo Plaza.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen Underwood

ReplyQuote
Stephen Underwood
(@caletafuerteventura)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I noticed more closures this morning:

Roll 'n' Bar in the Castillo Plaza is up for rent (I don't think they ever managed to get opened due to the pandemic).

The Gift Shop in the Los Arcos Center is up for rent (it's the one in the former Banca March premises).

The Slowboat Chinese in front of Villa Florida is closed.

Fusion 22 Restaurant in front of Villa Florida is closed.

ReplyQuote
Stephen Underwood
(@caletafuerteventura)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

El Tucan, the 24 hour shop in the Castillo Plaza, has closed down.

ReplyQuote
Villan
(@villan)
Reputable Member

Heart sinks whenever I see a new posting on this topic ☹ 

ReplyQuote
Can the Man
(@can-the-man)
Illustrious Member

Posted by: @caletafuerteventura

El Tucan, the 24 hour shop in the Castillo Plaza, has closed down.

That’s a pity, it was a very useful shop, especially for milk or bread late at night. 

C t M

ReplyQuote
Stephen Underwood
(@caletafuerteventura)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Mima Gift Point, a kiosk near the sand park - close to the Los Arcos Center has closed and the unit is for rent.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: